Tuesday, June 27, 2006

B for buses .... (in memoriam for a brave man)

A few days ago a traindriver was sitting on the bus that normally would have taken him to the station, so he would be able to start a normal day's work.

While sitting on the bus, a few youngsters became very loud and annoying to the other commuters. The traindriver decided to try to end the ongoing quarrel and walked towards the group of youngsters. He politely asked if they could keep things a little bit more quiet ...

Little was he to know that this would get him involved in a fight that he wouldn't survive. During the fight, most commuters left the bus. Only the driver and one couple stayed on board.

It's not the first time that people leave public transport while a quarrel breaks out. Up until 10 years ago, I too was a keen user of public transport. I quit taking the bus or the tram after witnessing a quarrel between a busdriver and a group of ladies that refused to pay the fare ... I also ended up staying alone in the bus, with the busdriver trying to break up the quarreling in order to get the very abusive ladies off the bus. My concern was for the busdriver. My eyes and ears were focused on both the ongoing situation and the busdriver's radio. I was thinking about how to operate the radio at the moment the driver would get into trouble ... (I didn't own a mobile phone yet at that time)

All the others had left ... Ten years ago the busdriver was able to manage the situation.

Ten years have past since then. The public's behaviour only has gotten worse. Some youngsters, regardless their nationality, seem to have no values at all. I didn't feel safe at that bus 10 years ago, but I had the guts to stay put.

But I must admit, after that incident, I've rarely taken a bus or tram.
Some people must think that I'm crazy ... driving through Antwerp! At least I have the feeling that I'm in control of my own situation and I drive as responsible as possible with respect for all, whether they are pedestrians, cyclists, drivers of their own mopeds, motorcycles or cars ....

And I certainly feel a deep respect for the drivers of all forms of public transport! Nowadays they risk their lives. During my childhood and youth, taking public transport was fun!

The world has changed a lot since then!

3 Comments:

Blogger Manictastic said...

It's seems he wasn't quite that polite. The youngsters and some other sources say that the guy grabbed on of them to the troat and that kid almost suffocated if the train driver didn't let go by the punches. Don't know if it's true, but if it's true the guy isn't so innocent.

But I read that in Oudenaarde a guy was beaten up because he hunked to some kids who were blocking the road. They beat him with a chain through his open window whilst his woman and child could see the entire thing. The guy was taken to the hospital and he's seriously hurt. I think the perpetrators were arrested.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Froggy64 said...

Good night to you Manic,

meanwhile, I got the same information! Thanks for posting your comment!

I'll review this post as soon as possible. Thanks for telling me what happened in Oudenaarde.

Whatever happened, truth and justice must prevail! I'm observing city life and can do no other than come to the conclusion that society is becoming harsher every day...

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home